Birko’s Products for Poultry Processing
Birko’s Chicxide®, Sterilex® Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner and Emech F3 and F5 systems are state-of-the art solutions for poultry processors.
Patented antimicrobial intervention for Poultry Processors: A food-grade, generally recognized as safe (GRAS), organic acid blend
- Stops Salmonella up front; keeps it from traveling deeper into poultry processing operations
- Up to a 2.3 log reduction (99.5%) of Salmonella spp. on processed birds demonstrated
- Non-corrosive to tanks and equipment
- Apply with standard industry methods
- Accepted by USDA for direct application to poultry during processing
- No perceived discoloration to poultry skin or meat
- No perceived taste profile*
- No label declaration required; considered a processing aid
*When used as directed
Sterilex® Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner
Sterilex’s patented EPA-registered powdered and liquid disinfectants have been customized to solve the sanitation challenges and quality control problems left behind by ineffective, routine cleaners and sanitizers. Sterilex® products are based on a patented alkaline peroxygen chemistry with phase transfer catalysis, which has the unique ability to control microbial contamination, kill pathogenic and spoilage microorganisms and penetrate and remove organic soils.
The synergistic components in Sterilex® products create a powerful level of performance through multiple mechanisms of action, which mean that the products do not induce microbial resistance.
Sterilex® patented EPA-registered disinfectants are effective against:
- E. coli
- Staphylococcus Aureus
- MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphyloccus Aureus)
- Avian Influenza A
- Z. Bailii
- Aspergillus Niger
- Mold and mildew
- Biofilm bacteria
Uses for Sterilex*Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner:
- Clean and disinfect processing equipment, belts, environmental surfaces and refrigeration coils
- Clean and disinfect transfer lines and tanks
- CIP cleaning-in-place systems in food and beverage processing plants
- Kill bacteria, viruses, mold and mildew in health care and industrial facilities
- Disinfect animal health facilities including environmental surfaces and poultry nipple drinking lines
- Use as an egg wash for the poultry industry
- Disinfect whirlpool baths and spas
- Remove biofilm and kill biofilm bacteria in dental unit water lines
Advantages of using Sterilex*Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner in your sanitation program:
Sterilex® disinfectants have been demonstrated to lead to significant competitive advantages such as increased shelf life, prevention of microbial spikes, reduction of product losses, and optimization of productivity. Sterilex*Ultra Disinfectant Cleaner works synergistically when used with routine sanitation and cleaning chemicals to optimize and ensure their effectiveness.
Sterilex® products have been written into the SSOP of several of the largest food and beverage processors in the country.
The Emech™ F3 and F5 systems for Poultry Paw Wash
Improved Accuracy Delivers Better Quality Paws
Chicken paws are regarded as a staple part of many Asian diets, and the preparation of the paws is a temperature-critical process to ensure that the paws are presented in an appropriate form to maximize the value to suppliers. The process of paw preparation involves the separation of the paw from the leg knuckle and then gentle cleaning to exfoliate any ammonia burns, residual fecal matter, and the cuticle
The challenge in achieving maximum yield is to economically match the process conditions and clean the paw without the need for rework, or damaging the paw due to excessive heat.
Accuracy in maintaining accurate temperature control of approximately 140°F (60°C), is important during the paw scrubbing process. If the temperature is too low, then the paws may not clean up properly causing plants expensive rework costs and reduced process yields. If the temperature is too high, the paws may burn and shrink, again reducing the yield and quality of this valuable delicacy.
Often the temperature of the water delivered to this process is affected by other processes that operate periodically around the paw wash system. Temperatures can drift out of specification due to pressure fluctuations in the steam, or hot and cold water circuits.
Traditional Pick™ heaters or Fisher™ mixing stations used in these applications are slow to respond to these variations, and also suffer from scale and maintenance issues that compound the problems experienced by poultry processors.
The Emech F3 and F5 systems presents a unique out-of-the-box control solution ensuring that temperature accuracy of +/- 0.9°F can be maintained even during unequal pressure differentials. Increased accuracy of mixing has provided significant savings to customers in the form in reduced energy cost and improved process yields. Customers have experienced payback intervals measured in weeks and months as a result of the deployment of Emech technology, which has led to the redefinition of what is acceptable in process performance.