Birko’s environmentally-friendly formulas for beef processing are generally recognized as safe (GRAS) and include antimicrobial interventions. Birko also has compounds used in hide curing and other phases of beef processing.
Birko’s Beefxide® Reduces Bacterial Load Without Affecting Color or Flavor
Beefxide® is a USDA-approved blend of lactic and citric acids, developed as an antimicrobial processing aid. It has been demonstrated effective against E. coli 0157:H7 as well as non-0157 STECs and Salmonella. It was approved by the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) May 10, 2011. This Letter of No Objection allows Birko’s antimicrobial interventions to be used as a spray on all carcasses, primals, subprimals, cuts, trim and offal products, as well as unskinned livers, without labeling. These approvals are included in FSIS Directive 7120.1, “Safe and Suitable Ingredients Used in the Production of Meat, Poultry and Egg Products.”
- Provides economical intervention against E. coli, Salmonella and Listeria
- Reduces gram negative pathogens by up to 2.4 log (99.6%)
- Broad spectrum reductions in both enteric and aerobic bacteria
- Beefxide applied to beef trim before grinding reduced bacterial load without affecting color or flavor
- Beef trim treated with Beefxide pre-grind resulted in ground beef loaves that were more natural in color and less brown than untreated controls
- Non-corrosive to tanks and equipment
- Direct spray application to beef carcasses
- Comparable to lactic acid with a lower application cost-per-head
- Accepted by USDA for direct application to carcasses during processing
- Apply using a variety of standard industry methods
- No perceived discoloration to meat*
- No perceived taste profile*
- A processing aid that does not require a label declaration
- Shipped as a concentrate; requires no special water conditioning for mixing
*When used as directed
Birkoside™—PAA-based Antimicrobial Intervention
With Birkoside™, peracetic acid (PAA) interrupts E. coli 0157:H7 to help meat processors comply with FSIS Notice 05-09, issued Jan. 7, 2009. Birkoside™ is fast acting with no residual and provides a very favorable cost per application compared to other antimicrobial interventions. It’s designed for direct application to carcasses, cuts and trim. Birkoside™ is a sustainability-friendly product, demonstrating a strong speed-to-kill advantage over many other interventions and is recommended for use on product going to immediate further processing.
- Strong speed-to-kill advantage
- Provides economical intervention against E. coli
- Useful for treating arriving product destined for further processing
- Fast-acting antimicrobial with no residual
- GRAS formulation
- Exceptionally pure, stabilized form
- Favorable cost-per-application
Improved Hide Curing Additive
Birko has improved its hide curing additive, XLERATOR®, for even better cures on brine cured hides.
XLERATOR® is a 100% active compound for improving cure rate by maximizing salt absorption in the allotted curing time. It improves brine uptake and deodorizes brine, leaving a clean smell. As an added benefit, XLERATOR® acts as a hide conditioner and extends the storage life of cured hides. It also removes fold marks from previously cured and bundled hides.
All XLERATOR® ingredients are environmentally safe, non-hazardous and biodegradable.
XLERATOR® has now been improved to additionally increase the amount of brine that the hide absorbs in an average cure time of 12-18 hours in the raceway. “The added increase in brine saturation experienced by our customers is having a profound impact on the quality in hides cured with the new XLERATOR® formula,” said Mark Swanson, Birko’s Chief Executive Officer.
XLERATOR® is available in 55-gallon drums or totes. Hide curing with XLERATOR® requires only 1/3 gallon per 100 fleshed hides, or 1/2 gallon per 100 unfleshed hides.